Friday, May 14, 2010


A school room at the local primary school

The local primary school

The Children's ward in the hospital.

Taking showers in the rain after having no water
for three days.

A womens group that makes necklaces and sells
them online to people all over the world.

Village Children

Our room BEFORE we moved all our stuff in.
There are seven of us in there.

The Jinja branch Primary. Cutest Kids!!

Mushroom houses (they are currently in
between growing seasons) I will be working a
lot with these this summer.


We met the most amazing person today. His name is Wilson and he is in charge of the Youth Outreach mission here in Lugazi. He seriously is on a mission to change the world. As he told us his story he explained that he felt from the time that he was very young that he felt it was his responsibility to help his people. His whole story is seriously just amazing. I felt like I was at an EFY talk or something as he explained to us that if we put our faith in God and work our very hardest we will be able to make a difference. He is only 21 years old and yet I feel like he is one of the wisest people I have ever met.

That is something that I have really be impressed with here in Uganda. As we have been getting to know people and how we can help I have really be impressed how the locals have taken matters into their own hands. These projects are being led by them, not by us. We merely have the time and the knowledge and the man power to provide them with what they need. It makes me feel so much better about working with them because if they own the projects then that means things will keep on going after we leave. I can't wait to start getting to work next week!!

4 comments:

  1. So cool! I love the picture with you and the kids...it almost seems like Rick did some handy work to put you in there ;) I can't believe you're in Uganda!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie, I can't believe you're really there!!- and you're already making a difference. I'm so stoked for you & all of the adventures yet to come. (i.e. no water...yikes!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything sounds wonderful! The pictures are beautiful! Maybe Rick can do some of his magic and put me in them too? Then I could say I've been to Africa" and when they doubt me I can show them proof:) I absolutely love the showering in the rain! That would be a Brock thing to do... :) I want one of those necklaces that they make... pretty please? Pick me out the prettiest most coolest one! oh and... that cast on the boy... that is what they look like in Chile too! Sometimes boards and all! NO JOKE! and they have "real" hospitals there! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh and my blog is almost up! I made it from almost scratch! I designed it and went in and re-wrote a lot of the HTML... pretty awesome...
    jasonandlesleepugh@blogspot.com. Your the first I've told... because well actually it doesnt really have any posts yet... maybe I'll do that right now so you can check it out when you get on.... oh and ps.... THANK YOU SO MUCH for going throught the trouble of posting pictures... I know it is very difficult in foreign countries... Thank you I love them if I didnt tell you that already! besos.

    ReplyDelete